Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Blood Moon

I don't know much about astronomy, but I do know beautiful when I see it.  I am not sure if every year is like this and I am just paying attention for once or if this is unusual, but I have learned about something called a Super Moon.  It is when the moon is closest on it's axis around earth and appears 30% bigger than usual.  

Then there are Blood Moons where the moon is eclipsed from the sun and fragments from the earth's atmosphere make the moon appear red.  There are, or were, 4 Blood Moons this year and that is making some think the end is coming.  Whatever.

Well anyway, I thought the Super Moons were amazing the past couple of months but nothing compared to the Blood Moon of October.

It was October 8th, Addie's 13th birthday-not sure if that means something or not, and it was our early morning because of piano and voice.  I went right outside at 5am and viewed the Blood Moon.  Sure enough it was eclipsed and totally reddish-orange!  

WHAT A SIGHT!  

I have never seen anything like it.  On the way home from piano at 6, the moon starting coming back out and sliver by sliver it was a bright full moon again.  Wonderful!

But the best part was when it was almost setting on the west hills around 7:30.  I went on my back patio and the moon appeared huge!  I felt like I was on another planet.  I couldn't get enough.  So I took some extremely amateur photos to remember my prayer of gratitude to my Heavenly Father.





No comments: